"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." That is a defensive statement made by millions of children every year. Yet, when these same children are all grown up, they will find that the words that were said to them as a child haunt and taunt them for many years. For some people, they are never able to get past those ugly words that a family member, friend, or enemy said to them when they were 5, 6, 12, or even 18 years old.

Ugly words hurt children. Ugly words hurt adults, alike. The Bible teaches us in James 1:26 "If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile." 80% of Americans say they are Christian.
Christianity teaches in James 1:19, "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. Why then do so many people think it not wrong to "say what is on their mind.?"

In doing so, they teach their children the same kinds of behaviors. Because there is a widely held belief that "people are basically good." Somehow, people are able to convince themselves that as long as they don't put their hands on anyone, it's okay to talk. But speaking negatively toward or about anyone is NOT GOOD. We are called to love another.

Lord God, convict my heart whenever I speak ill to anyone. Even when I think ill of someone, chasten me. I want to right and I want to be ready when Jesus comes. Amen.

Please visit
my Squidoo Collection. It's free. More good stuff!

0 comments